Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last fall I purchased a used snowcaster (L84)from a garden tractor dismantler in Illinois. The 'caster has a lot of minor issues due to neglect: surface rust, worn skid shoes, worn blade/cutting edge, a few dents/bends in the auger. I started to dismantle it for repairs but quickly realized it most bolts would need to be cut off and it was not going to be a quick fix on any of issues.

I decided to leave it as is for the winter and in the spring do a complete rebuild.

Well, we have not had any snow until last night. 6" of snow fell. ( It was 60 degrees f. two days ago during the day and I was wearing shorts outside at work) The air temp. was in the high teens last night and about 22 degrees F. this morning.

I have the snowcaster attached to my '74 446 that has a shim adjust PTO clutch on it. I have never used this PTO clutch because I have this tractor set up as my dirt working tractor and my '75 446 is my mowing tractor. I didn't know if the clutch would work or not. I had gone through it to make sure nothing was worn and that it had all the proper pieces assembled in order, but I did not replace anything. I did test run the snowcaster but did not know if it would work correctly under load.

It worked great! I have a 3/4 minus crushed stone drive about 600 feet long, a parking area for about 6 cars and a turn-around loop, and a 25' x 100' concrete apron at the front of my two shop buildings.

I did clog it once and then it stopped spinning while the belt slipped. I dug into a gravel dirt rise at the side of my drive. The chain also was forced off the sprocket once due to the auger being bent by debris/stone in the drive. Man, can that thing throw gravel!

I am really impressed with how well it performed without being in tip top shape. It drastically reduced the time I would usually spend plowing with the H54
blade. The snowcasters are awesome.

I was having too much fun to stop and shoot video or photos and I was also feeling it out to see if the PTO clutch was adjusted right etc.

I can't wait to tear it down for the rebuild.

I am also going to get a laser tach like I have seen mentioned in discussions here to make sure that the auger is spinning at the right speed ( and that my engine is turning the proper RPM's)

Anyway, just had to tell you guys that know I know why you love you snowcasters.

Joey

·
Registered
247 Posts
Snowcasters are great aren't they. I just put a 54" blade on my 444 and while it did great and moved a ton of snow, I like the snowcaster better. It makes neater and quicker work of clearing snow.

Enjoy it and 'pay it forward' clear you neighbors driveway. :grin:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to list a my tire/weight set up.

I am running Firestone 8-16 Field and Road Ags on the rear and Firestone 16 x 6.50 tri-ribs in the front.

On the rear, the tires are filled with beet juice and I have 1 set ( 4 weights total) of CASE D10 cast iron wheel weights.

JB

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bbob,

Thanks for the heads up on the 222 in Salem. Definitely within reach...just no funds available right now. Seems to work out like that too often.

Our local weatherman called for a "dusting" on the storm that dropped 6". Now he says we have a 6-10" storm heading our way. His track record for predicting the weather isn't so good. We'll see what happens. NWS/NOAA is only calling for 1-3" and it will probably be less for me. I live in the "banana belt" of Bend, out east.

Photos and video next time!

JB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.