Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
This past weekend my Ingersoll 4016 with Vanguard engine started struggling/sounding funny. Turns out only one cylinder is working (I checked the spark plugs/wiring all was good and throwing a healthy spark) looked into engine and when I turned flywheel the one cylinder was not moving. I was wondering if anyone knew a general engine replacement cost? (I’m in metro-Detroit). Not sure if cost will merit the engine replacement or if the tractor/attachments for it will need to find a new home :/ thank you all in advance
-Patrick

·
Registered
890 Posts
I did this replacement a few years ago. It is doable with fairly normal hand tools but very fiddly at times. I took my time and didn't rush as I figured out the next step. Tied up one side of the garage for about three days.
The two hardest parts as I remember are to loosen the bolts that hold the pump mount to the flywheel as there is little space to get a tool in there. Second is loosening the nut on the flywheel. If you decide to move forward with it, I think I can provide some pics of how I did things.
I seem to recall Bob Mackie posting a thread about this if you search.
It was worth it to me in the end as the new engine (from SEW) works well.
PM me with a phone number and a convenient time to talk if you want to talk about it in more detail.
Willy

·
Administrator
3,343 Posts
Having had several requests for re-power last year, I did some research on the problems finding engines. Several things came up, as Vanguards come from a Japanese manufacturer, the supply system disruption due to the pandemic caused supply problems which still exist. Some years back there was a class action suite against small engine manufacturers over alleged misrepresentation of horsepower labeling of engines. The suite was settled at 50 million dollars, 30 million dollars of which was burdened by Briggs & Stratton. The settlement required that most small engines no longer be horsepower labeled but torque rated labeled. In the mix of all this, Briggs & Stratton filed for financial reorganization. Horizontal Vanguard engines if and when they become available will be much more expensive than in the past. Last year I thought that I had found an 18 Vanguard for a customer who was in dire need of a Vanguard to Vanguard re-power only to receive a totally out of spec, very expensive engine. As it was not at all what I had ordered and not at all adaptable, I shipped it back to the supplier and after many heated conversations with the supplier my money was finally refunded 9 months later! I have rebuilt several Vanguards over the years and the cost approached the price of new 18 Vanguards when figuring in the labor involved. :cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts