Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that Case used a few different designs of pulleys for the PTO clutch over the years and I have started this thread to hopefully straighten out which ones are which. I have had a total of 3 pulleys in my hand at once and all 3 looked different. The big question that is raised here is which ones are the "raised shoulder" style and which ones are not. The difference in the pulleys plays a huge role in the order of assembly with the spacers. I have attached a few pictures of the various clutches I have with me here. Hopefully some of you can help clear this up for me and others here looking to rebuild their own clutches.

Again, the big question here is what does a pulley look like with a "raised shoulder" and what does one look like without it. The PTO clutch diagram shows both style and each calls for different sized spacers.

This first picture shows two different pulleys. The pulley on the left still have the OEM disc attached to it while the pulley on the right does not. The pulley on the left has this inner raised ring that almost acts as a guide when installing a new friction disc.

Here is a picture of the pulley on the right WITH a new friction disc installed on it .

This is a picture of a pulley I just picked up that looks 99% identical to the pulley on the left in the first picture.

I took a black marker and made a mark on the raised area that the disc sits on. One would assume that this is what Case is referring to in their manuals when they mention "raised shoulder". But..... I cant assume here and need 100% proof that this is indeed a raised shoulder pulley.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a picture that Brian sent me of a clutch pulley he had on the shelf. He believes this one is a raised shoulder style pulley.

Notice in this picture the two different versions listed.

A slighty different updated drawing from the manuals

If anyone has pictures of their own pulleys then please post them up and let us know which year machine they came off of. Id like to know when the "old style" ended and the "new style" began.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
CASE 220/4 said:
If anyone has pictures of their own pulleys then please post them up and let us know which year machine they came off of. Id like to know when the "old style" ended and the "new style" began.
Brad, that would SEEM like a good idea but here's where I envision problems.

The first clutches used on the 200 and 400 models were the "shim style" and those were used right up to the mid to late 70's. I don't know WHEN Case switched to the EZ clutch because I haven't bothered to research the parts manuals. As we know, clutches don't last forever. Many of the old shim clutches were replaced outright by the EZ clutch over the years. The same can be said for the first edition of the EZ clutch. Many of those have been replaced by a later edition of the EZ clutch. Therein lies the rub. If I tell you that I have a 1979 446 with the shoulder style pulley, perhaps it has that model because 8 years ago, a new clutch was installed. And what about those tractors that had a bad clutch in them and the owner bought a used one off of e-Bay? You are looking to try and draw a line in the sand here. Something tells me that your best answer may lie with the Parts Manuals if the drawings will show the difference in the pulley design. Most of the time, I have found the drawings in the Parts Manuals to be highly accurate and very detailed. Good Luck with this.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, the problem with the drawings in the manual is that they are not very accurate. The drawing for the old style pulley is the same for the newer style. I am kind of hoping that someone here who has had their machine since new or just after it was built has taking a pic or two of their pulley. You never know what pictures members have hiding on their computer. If I took all these pics then someone else may very well have too. Its worth a shot just to see whats out there.

I guess I am just wanting to know more info then I really need to know.

·
Administrator
3,344 Posts
Hi Troops,
Read the EZ Adjust clutch manual 9-51083 as it briefly touches on some variations in the shims but doesn't say why. Brian Hildreth had mentioned that in the Ingersoll dealer service info the pulley differences are addressed.
And yes the drawing only addresses the older style pulley. The pulley design was changed possibly in 1987-88 on production units and later in replacement parts.
You know the old story, the large print giveth (pictures) and the fine print taketh away (read the book). The .100" shims are no longer available but the .050" shims are current parts.
Mad Mackie in Taxonnecticut :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have a '72 444 with a pulley that has a raised shoulder that is narrower than the one in the right hand picture in first post. The width is such that the inner diameter is just about at the centerline of the plate attachment screws. It also NOT the original clutch per the manuals.

What really matters in the end is the axial distance from the bearing shoulder to the face of the friction disc. That is what you shim to and you have to make sure nothing is touched on the hub except the inner race of the bearing (and the friction disc when engaged) and the inner races of the cams and then where the arm touches them.

I'd be interested in knowing the difference in the distance mentioned about between the different styles of hubs you have. Maybe at some point the bearing was moved axially relative the friction disc face??

·
Administrator
3,344 Posts
Yes, the pulleys do have a slight difference in OD but not much if any where the V belt rides. Should use Ingersoll V belts to get max RPM of the blades. Still the best darn clutch, 2,000 HRS on my former 448 with minimum maintenance!!
350 HRS on my 4018/Vanguard repower and on the 4th electric clutch! I have no idea how many electric clutches the PO put on but the clutch that was on it was only 2 years old when I bought the tractor, 1989 4018 formerly P218 Onan powered.
Mad Mackie in Taxonnecticut :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.