Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ingersoll 3018 w/ 18 hp vanguard. Was mowing and blew a hydraulic hose , replaced hose and filled with 15/40 oil. Started tractor and have a bad vibration from engine , what could that possibly be caused by? Haven’t reinstalled mower deck yet.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just guessing here. But with the deck not on, you don’t have the belt on for the deck. Maybe a bad motor mount and it vibrates with out the tension of the belt on the motor.
Just guessing.

Noel

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
try pulling 1 spark plug boot off and starting the tractor. If it runs do the same thing to the other side.
The only time my odessey(3014) vibrated is when I had to replace the diode in between the coil packs.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,314 Posts
As you are investigating, watch the hydraulic pump while the engine is running. It should be very smooth ... no run out or oscillating motion. Given the hose failure this could possibly be related to the pump adaptor, though seems a little off topic. If the pump is oscillating, then likely something obstructed the pump and has damaged the adaptor.

Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put the mower deck back on and mowed with it, it worked fine other than the bad vibration. Added note, I had the engine removed and had the ignition coils replaced about a month ago. It ran fine after that until I blew that hose.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Well. We are missing some, an out of balance trouble of some sort maybe. I’ve never seen an 18 hp vanguard engine. So I’m not much help. All my 11 garden tractors don’t have one of those engines.

Noel

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,040 Posts
Based on Brian's comment and he's seen these models, this is one of hte machines where the hydraulic pump is mounted to the engine with a solid mount and is kept from rotating by a stop arm:
Auto part Cylinder Metal Font Automotive wheel system

The bushing in the hydraulic pumps are SUPER thin, the design is that the shafts are riding on a high pressure layer of oil, since its a pump.. Unless you starve the pump of oil (when you blow a hose) and the bushing then wears really fast. Or the rubber bumper - snubber on the pump mount is missing, not - working, etc.

Id' still like the Original poster to tell us, which hose blew. How much oil did you loose, etc. This is a 3018, which has maybe a gallon of oil in the entire hydro system. So if the suction line failed, guaranteed that the pump was starved for oil.

And I agree wiht brian, feel the pump, is it vibrating..If this machine vibrates while just sitting and idling. The only things 'running' at the point are the engine, and the hydro pump.

·
Administrator
2,912 Posts
Tried to mow today and the hydraulick pump slid off the motor shaft.
As has been stated, the pump connects to an adapter that is bolted to the flywheel. It is almost impossible to remove this adapter from the pump shaft under normal circumstances.

I wonder if (and how) you sheared the set screw in the adapter You need to visually inspect the shaft for damage before putting it back together...

Bicycle part Font Rim Auto part Camera accessory

I for one would like to see some pictures so that we can be sure that we are giving you accurate advice and information.

• A picture of the now empty pump shaft
  • A picture of the flywheel adapter in its' current position

Reactions: Harry and KennyP

·
Administrator
2,912 Posts
So yes, the adapter came off the pump shaft. The adapter is still attached to the flywheel.

Can't tell from this picture if the set screw is still there or not. You will have to rotate the flywheel manually to look for it.

Can't tell from this picture if the pump shaft or adapter mating surfaces are damaged from this event or not. You will need to inspect them visually and with your fingers to feel if it they are still smooth or have become grooved. Also, if you slide the shaft into place does it fit snug or does it wobble because it has become worn?

I am asking others to chime in on whether you can just put it back it together with a new set screw, or if there is a different recommended procedure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts