Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
firstly, i finally got that mower deck off my 195, one of the PO's liked to use nails instead of cotterpins!!! :mad: :twisted: there was a big nail hiding in the mule drive where the mower deck frame peice slides into, this is what was stopping me from sliding the mower deck out of the mule drive.

so now onto the next puzzle. when i was pushing the 195 across some rough terrain and into the garage, i heard a hollow "knocking" sound coming from the tractor. as i got it into the garage i narrowed it down to the axle or axle sleeves/shafts. when i pushed on one side of the tractor; rocking it side to side gently. i could actually see the axles sliding in the axle sleeves. the knocking i was hearing was when the sleeve was hitting the hubs on either side. this cant be normal can it?? something must be worn or missing somewhere. i also noticed while i was investigating it a bit more thoroughly is that its missing the entire disc brake assembly, all that's there is a rusted disc on the right hand side of the tractor just above the axle.

hopefully my description is somewhat understandable, if not i think i'll have to make a short video clip.

just because, heres a pic of the 195 with the mower off

·
Registered
423 Posts
I get the same thing while pushing my 448 Ben. The right hand axle has the most side play it needs to have some shims added to the axle inside the rear.I think the service manual said it should have .030 clearence for a 448.

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
really? i find it odd that it would be able to do that. so is it just some worn shims that need replacing or is that an after market fix to the problem. thanks oleblu! :trink:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
benn said:
really? i find it odd that it would be able to do that. so is it just some worn shims that need replacing or is that an after market fix to the problem. thanks oleblu! :trink:
IMO restablishing the correct end play after 2-3-4 decades with factory shims is not a stop gap solution. I have two that exhibit the same symptom, Not concerned about it until I open the transaxle for something else.

·
Registered
423 Posts
99flhr said:
benn said:
IMO restablishing the correct end play after 2-3-4 decades with factory shims is not a stop gap solution. I have two that exhibit the same symptom, Not concerned about it until I open the transaxle for something else.
If it wasn't for the fact of finding the shims laying inside the rear and finding out where the clip went to that holds the input shaft together on the drive motor I probably wouldn't pull the rear plus it looks like it needs a good cleaning in there.

Mark

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I don't recall the 195 setup, but on all the 2xx/4xx rear ends I've opened up, there is not way to set the axle endplay.

The diff carrier endplay is set with shims between the inner axle flanged bearing/bushing and the gear carrier. But the axle endplay is just a function of where the keeper groove is cut.

Or, is my memory failing???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.