Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Thursday of this week, I stopped at my local metal recycler to pay Danny the $400.00 I owed him for an item I took the day before. To my surprise, there were two GT's sitting in the "new arrivals" section and one of them looked so familiar my heart skipped a beat. I rushed over to confirm what I already suspected and it was a 1968 Case 195 with a factory-made aftermarket loader on it that I had never seen before. I told Danny that I would buy this tractor from him but he told me that I was too late. He had already promised it to another of his regulars. I talked to him about the Sears GT sitting next to it. I don't really want the complete Sears but I do want the Kohler engine. I saw Danny again today and we haven't quite come to terms on the engine but he said on Monday we could probably work something out.

I photographed the loader because the more I looked at the design, the more I hated it. What were these guys thinking when they stuck that huge plate in front of the grille, blocking off important air flow to the oil cooler? And look at how they attached the back end of the loader to the tractor. It is nearly impossible to navigate your right foot past the fender, control valve and loader frame to reach the footrest. As you can see by the tag, this loader was made in Fort Erie, Ontario. Apparently, Kuchyt made FEL's for several brands of tractors.

Aside from the engineering of the loader itself, just look at the deplorable condition of this machine overall. The chrome on every cylinder is badly rusted. The bucket has had so much modification done to it, I don't even know if it's salvageable. Take a guess at what Danny got for this monstrosity.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mis-read my words. I purchased a part from Danny the day before and returned the following day to pay him for it. Having a good working relationship with your local salvage yard is a good thing. How many businesses let you leave their premises with a $400.00 item on the promise you will come back and pay them?

No guesses on what the other guy paid Danny for that 195????????

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Well I think that tractor was left outside for years. I wonder if you had obtained it how much money it would have cost to get it back in action? One thing I am thinking is the hydraulic cylinders being pitted. Of course the restorations are a labor of love but I'd rather start with something in fairly good shape. No doubt it would be pretty neat restored with the after market FEL. The neat factor? LOL My guess is that he got $500. Not saying it's worth that but sometimes when people see a loader they go crazy. Just a wild guess. Anyhow I think you deserve something better Tom and I wouldn't be too upset.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
That loader doesn't send any tingles up my leg. It looks to me as like a generic loader that was fitted to this, and likely other tractors, with little effort to integrate it properly with the tractor. I doubt Case let that leave the factory with their name on it.

I'd be surprised if the scrap yard paid more than $200 for it.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
mikebramel said:
The Sears has a Tecumseh HH?
Mike,
Sometimes ................you can be very, very annoying........ especially when there's a good chance that you are correct. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

You know what they say about that word ASS U ME and I have this crushing feeling that I am going to kick my own ass on Monday when I take a closer look at that engine. For sure....it's a cast iron single and I let the OHV's blind me. I thought I was staring at a 16HP Kohler K with OHV. I wrote to Brian Miller and he said Kohler only made an 18 HP OHV engine and even that didn't sink in until I read your post. Brian's e-mail had me even more elated and then along you come and crush me. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

I may still end up with that engine but only if I can get it for $50.00 or less. I'll let you know. And thanks for the heads-up. I shoulda known. :facepalm:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Caseman2 said:
Tom why not have Danny contact the new owner and offer him a small profit.

This would be a nice project for restoration and then just stick into your collection.

My guess - $50.00?
Nice try, Frank but no cigar.

Rich guessed right when he said $500.00. It's actually pretty stupid money but if the guy folded on the deal and Danny refused to take less, I would have paid the price. The loader would have been stripped off and set aside permanently. The 195 would have been restored as a basic tractor. The reason I would have paid that kind of dough is because it was sitting in a spot that I pass by twice a day most of the time. Not having to spend all kinds of money to retrieve the tractor is something that all collectors understand. As for the loader, I probably would have cleaned up the rods on the two lift cylinders and replaced the rod and seals on the bucket cylinder. I would have tried to restore the connections to the bucket so it could have been hooked back up to the loader arms. Then I would have put it up for sale and tried to recover as much money as possible from it. My friend Ted Brown has a 442 that is equipped with a loader made here in Ontario and it's a much smarter design. It goes on pretty fast and comes off pretty fast. The front of it hooks to the Snap Fast eyes even though this 442 does not have Snap Fast. The rear of the loader skirts around the outside of the foot rests and comes back in to bolt onto the ears that the utility blade attaches to. This ......to me.... was a brilliant design by comparison.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
Well I think that tractor was left outside for years. I wonder if you had obtained it how much money it would have cost to get it back in action? One thing I am thinking is the hydraulic cylinders being pitted. Of course the restorations are a labor of love but I'd rather start with something in fairly good shape. No doubt it would be pretty neat restored with the after market FEL. The neat factor? LOL My guess is that he got $500. Not saying it's worth that but sometimes when people see a loader they go crazy. Just a wild guess. Anyhow I think you deserve something better Tom and I wouldn't be too upset.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich
Rich.... you are bang on with the price. See my post above. Yes. restorations are a labour of love but my love was being stretched to the max with this mess. I am not all that sad about losing it. I have plenty to keep me busy as it is. :lol:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Bart said:
That loader doesn't send any tingles up my leg. It looks to me as like a generic loader that was fitted to this, and likely other tractors, with little effort to integrate it properly with the tractor. I doubt Case let that leave the factory with their name on it.

I'd be surprised if the scrap yard paid more than $200 for it.
I did not get tingles in my leg but I did feel a pain a little higher up just contemplating trying to get my right leg onto the foot rest. Danny and crew buy stuff by the pound. Presumably this unit would have weighed in at around 1100 LBS tops. Last year, he was paying $180.00/ton for structural steel or good cast iron. This tractor does not fit either description so it would not have brought eighteen cents a pound to reach the $200.00 mark you guessed. These guys are in business to make money and items like these are simply cash under the table for them.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I'm from Fort Erie, and I've been doing some sniffing around regarding the "Kuchyt Metal Works"

There is no company here by that name. I would tend to think that it is a rather old firm that has gone the way of the Dodo bird. I have also asked my neighbour who has been a farmer here all his life and he has never heard of them.

It is peculiar that a company (in this small town) that is set up to fabricate this type of equipment and supply nameplate/serial number etc. wouldn't at least have left a remnant of their previous setup.

Anyway, I thought I would just share this useless piece of information.

:canada:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My research indicated that someone with the surname Kuchyt works for the Town. Perhaps........a relative of the owner of that company.

Sylvester Calzone also posted that he has come across two or three tractors for sale that were equipped with K-line loaders.

If you went to the Town's archives and searched the tax rolls for 1967, that company would come up along with the address. If you were really ambitious, you could keep checking the tax rolls for subsequent years until you found a new name for that property. This is not "Mission Impossible". It's more like Mission PITA.

:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
318 Posts
as Hydriv said, I have seen these loaders before.
from time to time they pop up on kijiji, about a month ago two were listed.
I would have to do some digging but when I first got into this tractor line I inquired about one of these units.
a older gentleman that claimed he knew where the company was, as family had purchased the loader new.
never questioned him further.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mikebramel said:
The Sears has a Tecumseh HH?
OK.... I went to the scrap yard this morning to take a harder look at the Sears GT. I couldn't find a label on the engine other than the decal that says "Sears Cast Iron Engine" or something akin to that. I'm sure it isn't a Kohler and I'm pretty sure that Mike is right about it being a Tec engine. It was drizzling rain, Danny wasn't in sight and I wasn't in the mood to hang around so I left. As I understand it, parts for Tec engines can be a problem since they went under. I wish it had been a Kohler because I definitely had a use in mind for it. Now... I'm flipping around wondering whether I should bother with it. The more I think about it, the less interested I am. :sidelaugh:

Mike...... I really appreciate that heads-up. In retrospect, I probably would have unbolted it without even considering that it might be a Tec engine and then regretted it later. The guy who wanted the 195 loader came and picked it up because it's gone. Good luck to him.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.