Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been needing to trim down some really high branches for a while now. So I rented a lift from Home Depot. Wouldn't you know it? 1. My truck couldn't fit between the trees to get to the back yard. and 2. The paint almost matches my 442. I think I'll just call it an attachment!

Last pic is a closeup of my multi-purpose hitch I've bolted on, with a custom support bracket made from EMT :mrgreen:
I got the hitch itself from Walmart, it's sold for an atv. It has a hole for a standard ball, then an extension behind the ball you can use for a pin/clevis hookup, and a big welded ring underneath for a hook/chain.

Yes it's painted "Chevy orange" rustoleum engine paint... :lol:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
What I like most about that man-lift is that it has long stabilizers on all four corners so that you can level it up on rough ground. When you are 30 plus feet in the air, you want to be confident that the lift isn't going to fall over with you in the basket.

If you intend to remove large limbs from a tall tree, then positioning of the lift is very critical and so is the use of long ropes controlled by helpers on the ground. A two hundred pound limb falling on your man-lift from 30 feet can quickly ruin your day. Many of us THINK we can predict where and how these will fall but if things don't quite work out that way..................

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was only $225 all-inclusive for the day, and the bucket goes 36 feet vertically. Standing at 36 feet then reaching with a pole saw, I was able to get to almost anything I want to.
(Not everything. I wanted to top-out one of these Georgia pines, and at 36 feet, I was about halfway up the trunk. So I gave up on that one.)
But the lift is heavy and long and hard to maneuver. (It weighs 3400 lbs, with a 242 lb tongue-weight.) Using a truck to maneuver it around the trees in my yard would have been impossible. But if you have a nice GT to hook up to, (And now I do :446: ) then it's not a problem.

Bob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.