Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a '76 446 that has no engine. It has everything else, at least as far as I can tell. The tractor is in poorly maintained shape, but it is not so bad that it can not be saved.

What I should use as an engine? There are bits and pieces of an Onan: some shields, fly wheel, bits of the ignition system, but that's it.

I want to use this tractor on the yard/farm, so I am not as concerned as having a perfect restoration as to a solid working tractor

Thanks for the help, Jason

·
Registered
633 Posts
jkarels said:
Hi everyone, I have a '76 446 that has no engine. It has everything else, at least as far as I can tell. The tractor is in poorly maintained shape, but it is not so bad that it can not be saved.

What I should use as an engine? There are bits and pieces of an Onan: some shields, fly wheel, bits of the ignition system, but that's it.

I want to use this tractor on the yard/farm, so I am not as concerned as having a perfect restoration as to a solid working tractor

Thanks for the help, Jason
Restoration or otherwise, your simplest solution is to replace the engine with the equivalent model Onan it was delivered with.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Get in touch with member boomers_influence, he might be able to set you up with an Onan that'll drop right in. That would avoid all the problems of non-stock parts. Hopefully the flywheel you have has at least part of the PTO still attached.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Part of the decision-making process should be based upon your expectations of the end result.

If you want the tractor to cut grass and/or blow snow, then your engine choices must be capable of having a front-mounted PTO of some type. If you don't contemplate ever needing the tractor for those duties, then just about any engine with a horizontal shaft is capable of spinning the hydraulic pump. The rest then comes down to connecting the choke/throttle cables, the fuel line and the wiring. It's not difficult to fashion a complete new wiring harness to suit. Used engines show up on Craigslist and other such sites on a local basis in order to keep costs at a minimum. The tractor will still be capable of using a Utility Blade to push snow or dirt. You will also be able to run hydraulically powered attachments if you have a rear PTO valve and of course, you can tow whatever you wish.

If you want a full-function tractor, then I agree that contacting Boomer would be a good move. A complete, used clutch that is in decent working order could be bought off of e-Bay or you could contact Dan Haas directly to see if he has one available. In the meantime, I would suggest that you go into the Tech Library and consult the Parts Manual for your PIN to try and figure out what you have and what you don't have in the way of parts. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
715 Posts
According to the parts manual for a 1976 446 that tractor it came with either the BF-MS or the B43M engine.I have a complete BF-MS I can sell you along with any other parts you may need...PO said it was running fine before tearing up the lovejoy.I can do a cold compression test or can get it running for you.PM me if you are interested. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Based upon your description of what you have it's probably worth in the neighborhood of $150-$200 as is. A 446 in good operating condition can often be purchased for $500-$700. A newly rebuilt Onan will cost you at least $1200.

If you put in a new Onan you'll probably never be able to sell it for close to what you spend on it.

As I see it your choices are as follows:

1. Find a good running used 446 or 444 in the $500 range and part out the tractor you have or keep it for parts to maintain the newer tractor.

2. Look around for a good running Onan in the $300 range and you might get lucky. Recognize that you could easily spend another $300 in parts to get the Onan properly installed and everything functioning as intended. Key big ticket items that are often missing in tractors with missing engines are: muffler, PTO clutch and oil pump.

3. Follow Hydriv's advice and put in an inexpensive 12-14 hp horizontal shaft engine and you can have a good utility tractor without a PTO.

·
Registered
529 Posts
FWIW I am working on essentially the same thing. I am going to be grafting a twin Honda (gx610 for those interested) into mine. Dimensions are looking pretty good for me. I do have to either find or make the pto shaft, though. On my dad's 226, we put in an 18hp opposed briggs. No pto, but it does everything he wants it to.

·
Registered
147 Posts
What I should use as an engine?
Preferably one of those Boxy looking metal thingys with pistons in them!

Seriously, I'd look for a "Doner" 446 OR... maybe look for something NICER than a doner (if I had the scratch!) and use your existing tractor for parts. Scary thought, eh?

I wonder...Would an 18HP Onan from a JD (B series or P218G me thinks) bolt in?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
creekhed1 said:
[
The oil pan would be wrong for a Case but perhaps it could be swapped.

The crank output stub would also be different but that could be shortened and if need be, a different coupler half would solve the diameter issue.

Other than that.....it would most likely work.

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Seriously, I'd look for a "Doner" 446 OR... maybe look for something NICER than a doner (if I had the scratch!) and use your existing tractor for parts. Scary thought, eh?[/quote]

What's doner? :headscratcher: Not familiar with that term, sorry...

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
tss8690 said:
Seriously, I'd look for a "Doner" 446 OR... maybe look for something NICER than a doner (if I had the scratch!) and use your existing tractor for parts. Scary thought, eh?
What's doner? :headscratcher: Not familiar with that term, sorry...[/quote]

What he actually means is a "DONOR tractor", as in one that can be taken apart and cannibalized for parts. :lol:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
creekhed1 said:
I installed an Onan from a JD and only had three issues to deal with:

1. The crank is 1.375" diameter and had to be shortened. I had the engine side lovejoy bored out and a keyway cut in to fit the larger diameter crank.

2. The JD has a solenoid on the starter and the starter hangs a little lower so I had to grind off a small amount from the corner of the frame to get the engine to sit flat--putting washers under the mounting ears probably would have solved the problem as well. Some minor wiring changes were required.

3. The oil fill tube had to be replaced with one from a Case spec Onan to get it to fit under the hood properly.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Bart,
Which model Onan was in the Case originally?

Which model Onan came from the JD ?

Did you not have to swap the oil pans?

Hilda wants to know these things, liebchen.

Need I remind you that vee haf vays of making you talk? :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Hydriv said:
Bart,
Which model Onan was in the Case originally? B43M

Which model Onan came from the JD ? P218 I believe

Did you not have to swap the oil pans? No

Hilda wants to know these things, liebchen.

Need I remind you that vee haf vays of making you talk? :sidelaugh:

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Hydriv said:
tss8690 said:
What he actually means is a "DONOR tractor", as in one that can be taken apart and cannibalized for parts. :lol:[/quote]

Ah. I thought I was missing out on a bit of GT vernacular. Thank you for the clarification fraulein! :trink:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
tss8690 said:
Hydriv said:
tss8690 said:
What he actually means is a "DONOR tractor", as in one that can be taken apart and cannibalized for parts. :lol:
Ah. I thought I was missing out on a bit of GT vernacular. Thank you for the clarification fraulein! :trink:[/quote]

You are quite welcome.

All I can do is to try and clarify. Unfortunately, there is little I can do about the preponderance of bad grammar on these forums. I chalk it up to the Imeerikan edjukashun system. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :canada: :canada:

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Were it not for the fact that I have a bit of a soft spot for Canada (you did give us Rush, Mike Myers and Dan Aykroyd after all), I would probably take exception to your remarks about our "fine" education system here in the States! :usa: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.