Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on a 1977 646

I pulled the travel control valve from my tractor to fix a leak that was dripping off of the shaft of the lift side of the valve.

I was hoping to just drop the valve off at a local hyraulic shop but it seems like the only one within 20 miles or so has closed.

I flipped through the manual for the valve section and I guess I will give the o-ring change a go.

My question is about the O-rings... specifically: are the o-rings something standard that I can pick up at napa? If So what size are they.

The only info that I have to go by is on page 69 of http://www.manuals.casecoltingersoll.co ... marked.pdf

All that it says is that part 5 is a 7982 seal - oring spool.

Assuming that I can get these locally, Does anyone have any idea of what I should ask for at napa?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Some valves used the round O-ring but others used a square one. This is exactly why I suggested that you go to a bona-fide hydraulics repair shop because those guys see everything that's out there and have stock on hand to rebuild it. NAPA is primarily an auto parts store that often has the facilities to make hydraulic hoses. NOT the same thing.

If you want to be sure you are getting the right product, then order it from Brian. Either that...........or expand your search to more than 20 miles. You have to decide which way to go based on cost and convenience.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear you... Respect your opinion.

My situation does not allow for me to travel to a hydraulic shop in a reasonable time frame.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you:
While the manuals here only reference one control valve for my 646 (I checked three manuals that mentioned it) and the only oring that is speced for the spools is 7982 (there are 4 identical o-rings per valve assembly) there may still be different parts?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I have not researched the manuals for the 600's. If you have and all of them call for the same part number, then I can't argue against that. I am referring to the T/L valves for the 200/400 models where it has been noted that the squarish rings have been found. I am not saying that you should not try NAPA but I don't want to see you end up with the wrong rings because removing and installing that valve a 2nd time isn't what I call fun. The people at most NAPA stores are just countermen who look up part numbers. A hydraulics shop will use a micrometer and calliper to determine the correct ID of the ring along with the diameter of the ring itself. If the ring is too fat or too skinny, then you are not going to be happy. If the ID of the ring is wrong, then it will either bunch upon installation or it will be over-stretched.

Brian can most likely ship the correct rings to you in one to two days time and then you will be sure of having the correct part.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I know its not the same beast but on my 195 it actually calls for a tri-ring which is NLA. Since I have a very good understanding of hydraulics from years on the farm I came to the conclusion that since the tri-rings were speced that a quad ring would be better. So far its been good. I even replaced mine with the valve still on the tractor.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
notelvis said:
Working on a 1977 646

I pulled the travel control valve from my tractor to fix a leak that was dripping off of the shaft of the lift side of the valve.

I was hoping to just drop the valve off at a local hyraulic shop but it seems like the only one within 20 miles or so has closed.

I flipped through the manual for the valve section and I guess I will give the o-ring change a go.

My question is about the O-rings... specifically: are the o-rings something standard that I can pick up at napa? If So what size are they.

The only info that I have to go by is on page 69 of http://www.manuals.casecoltingersoll.co ... marked.pdf

Assuming that I can get these locally, Does anyone have any idea of what I should ask for at napa?

Thanks,
Tim
I have an old Case oring selector kit and it contains the 7982 oring. The cross sectional thickness of the ring is specified at 0.103". It does not list the overall inside diameter of the ring that fits the undercut diameter of the JIC flare fitting where the ring sits(use a caliper to determine). Its important that the specified thickness be maintained for a "light compression fit" and also, because these are subject to high pressure, my memory serves me as they need to be 90 durometers in rubber hardness, oil resistant. I hope this info helps you and others when outsourcing to an automotive store. Jeff.

·
Premium Member
2,316 Posts
jbadman said:
notelvis said:
Working on a 1977 646

Thanks,
Tim
I have an old Case oring selector kit and it contains the 7982 oring. The cross sectional thickness of the ring is specified at 0.103". It does not list the overall inside diameter of the ring that fits the undercut diameter of the JIC flare fitting where the ring sits(use a caliper to determine). Its important that the specified thickness be maintained for a "light compression fit" and also, because these are subject to high pressure, my memory serves me as they need to be 90 durometers in rubber hardness, oil resistant. I hope this info helps you and others when outsourcing to an automotive store. Jeff.
I looked a little further into the o ring and partially mispoke on the application of A7982... Understanding that its the spool seal now....
You can look up virtually any o-ring part number by linking to the CaseIH parts website and entering the o ring number. It will spit out the dimensional data you need. I copy/pasted the results for A7982 here:

PARTS Home Catalog
O-RING, -114, 70 Duro, .612" ID x .103" Thk
SKU: 238-5114

A7982 was obsoleted and repl w/ 238-5114, shown above, avail at a Case dealer. If not convenient, you have the dimensions and hardness spec to cross ref somewhere else locally, noting it must be compatible with hyd oil obviously.

Here is the link to the Case Construction Parts Website: http://partstore.casece.com/us/
Type the known p/n in the search box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.