Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of upgrading my 195. Dont know if I want the expence of an onan, but I have a lot of experience with kohlers. I like the 2 tone paint. Anything to watch out for in a 444? What are your thoughts? Would be used on a tiller, mower, and caster.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
When looking for a 444 Sunset work tractor, then you should try for one that was made in 1973, 1974, 1975 or 1976.

WHY?

First of all, they all have the Snap Fast attachment system and that gives you access to every H, J, K, L, M and N Series 44 and 48 inch mower deck as well as the rear discharge 44". You can also use the H thru S Series snowcasters along with the H, J, K , L and UB-54 utility blades. In other words, you have a glut of compatible attachments available.

The Kohler K's used in these years are mounted on rubber isolators and that allowed the discontinuance of the balance gears inside the engine which are known to break apart, drop into the pan, collide with the rod and destroy the engine. Prior to 73, the Kohlers were hard-mounted to the frame, as in your 195.

The 73 to early 76 models all have the reservoir up front and the muffler outside. This gives you a bigger reservoir and it isn't in your way when you need to get at the dashboard.

Try to find one that is already fitted out with the optional rear PTO and at least a sleeve hitch. A three-point would be nice but for tilling only, it isn't essential. If you want to plough the garden, then the 3 point is very desirable. It is cheaper to get one with those option already there compared to a stripped model and then seeking the options afterward. As always, the condition of the engine is of prime importance but with a Kohler, it should not be a deal breaker if you can buy the tractor cheap enough. I would sooner score a 444 with a 3 point, rear PTO and Flow Control valve with a weak, badly smoking engine for $400.00 to $500.00 than pay $700.00 for a stripped 444 with a smoke-free engine.

REASONING..... the options alone are worth more than the price paid. The tractor is then FREE. If I have to spend $400.00 to rebuild the Kohler, I don't care. At the end of the day, I KNOW FOR SURE, what went into that engine to rebuild it and it's going to outlast me as long as I take care of it.

Your 195 could then be restored at your leisure and turned into a show/parade tractor. Sell off the deck and any other attachments for some capital cost recovery.

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
Here one but price high no photo's no phone number Altanta Ga.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/2750206090.html

Case 444 garden tractor - $2500 (Atlanta)

Date: 2011-12-12, 9:00PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

One of the greatest garden tractors ever built. This is a 1974 Case 444. It is completely hydrostatic. Full PTO and 3 point hitch. Comes with the following attachments:

Single disc harrow
Cultivator plow
Moldboard plow
Hitch sleeve attachment
Mower deck

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
PostingID: 2750206090

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Single disc harrow...... $100.00
Cultivator plow ........... $100.00
Moldboard plow ............$100.00
Hitch sleeve attachment $125.00
Mower deck ... goes with tractor

Total value of attachments. $425.00

3 point hitch ........................$400.00

rear PTO .............................. $200.00

Total $1025.00

There's no way in hell that a 1974 444 with a deck is worth $1475.00

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hilda, I do like how you always break down deals, makes things easier to justify the purchase. As for the whole idea of upgrading to a 444 in my head involves snap fast and 3pt as I could use it on the farm some. I like the idea behind the end drive tillers and it seems the ones I see are 3pt also.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
In my opinion, you have to look at packages this way. Each item listed is actually an option at a dealer. The base tractor has it's own MSRP and the dealer tacks on the MSRP of each option and attachment just the same as the auto industry does. At one time, if you bought a car, a heater was listed as an option and so were wheel discs.

If for some reason, the tractor itself became unrepairable (fat chance), then what would the approximate value be of the attachments and options that could be sold off?

When it comes to the Case or Ingersoll hydraulic drive rototillers, there is no difference in performance between the earlier center-drive models and the later "Sidewinder" models. That information comes from owners who have used both styles extensively. Both models are actually set up for the sleeve hitch. The F-27 Sleeve Hitch adapter that was introduced for the 1969 model year is needed to convert the three -point hitch to accept sleeve hitch style implements such as single-furrow ploughs, rotary disc sets, back blades, seeders, fertilizer spreaders and various styles of cultivators. The sleeve hitch concept was developed by Brinly-Hardy back in the fifties and pretty much everyone adopted that standard except for Sears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.