Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's face it. You did not end up on this forum by accident. Nor did you likely end up owning a Colt, Case or Ingersoll tractor by accident, either. After all, you are an intelligent person so there must be a strong reason that affected your thinking process and made you purchase one of these tractors? And even if you did happen to get one by accident, thanks to an inheritance or gift or just dumb luck... something must have happened inside your gray matter to make you hang on to it.

This is your chance to tell everyone in your own words about the one thing that stood out the most with the CCI tractor that convinced you to hang on to it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Durability. Period. I'm plowing this winter (if we ever get snow...) with a GT that is 10 years older than I am, and the total amount of mechanical work it's *ever* had done is $10 of replacement steering pins and a set of oversized piston rings (didn't even hone the cylinder). That's it. That 155 of mine has been worked hard since the day it was new. It runs like new. I can't even tell if my battery is getting low, because it starts before I even hear the engine turn over once :clap:

Chris

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Had no need for a tractor for 20 yrs, planning to move out of "town" so I began shopping. It would have to be one of the "old line" brands as I have the usual geezer prejudices against the new stuff (plastic / bugeye styling etc.)
Thought I wanted a Gravely until I drove one, I`m only 6'1' but it felt like the proverbial Monkey and football.
Missed a perfectly restored Cub 1650 by 4 minutes ( :mad: )
Shopping on ebay exposed me to a photos of a brand that I was totally unfamiliar with , Ingersoll. I hate to admit it, but it was the size of the back tires that kept me looking as I knew nothing about the brand. ( Some will say that this is still true today)
That lead me to MTF where I was exposed to the fanatical rantings of multiple Case apostles, figured hey, I`m nuts too, might as well join this crew.
While waiting for my house to sell, I found a 446, liked it so well, that I bought a 4020PS.
Moved to my new place and finally had the opportunity to do something other than "hobby" with both machines.
Very pleased, cheap to buy, easy to repair (mostly), will perform any reasonable task, beautiful cut quality, outstanding implement interchange. And of course the entertainment value of visiting here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
To be honest, it has everything to do with my dad. He worked for a Case dealer since the early 60's. I had every Case toy made. In 83 dad went to work for the local IH dealer because the Case dealer closed. I hated it!! All the ugly red toys. Definately better than the green ones though. But to sum it all up. I have always loved Case tractors of all kinds. Wouldn't own anything else ever!!!!

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Cut quality, due to the ground following deck. And, ride quality and traction with the big tires. I cut some rough areas and smaller tires just beat me to death. My JD with bigger 12's isn't so bad but the little 9.50-10.50s drop into every little hole. The Case 16's with chains provide the best traction I've ever experienced with a GT, even better than the JD with ATV tires!

That along with the repair simplicity keeps me coming back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel that Ingersoll still makes one of the best GT's in the market today but finding a dealer is tuff to do. If they could be marketed to the general public on the basis of how well they are made. that they are not a throw-away mower and if maintained, they would last a lifetime.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Having reconstituted a Massey Ferguson 7 a few years ago, I was looking for something with better traction and the ability to withstand the punishment of working in a rocky, heavily treed environment. I was also looking for a unit that performed like a 'real' tractor and could handle some challenging snow clearing duties. The personal challenge of learning about hydraulics was a plus. Two years ago I picked up a 1981 448 and have not looked back. This site is a bonus.
Troll

·
Registered
633 Posts
Hydriv said:
there must be a strong reason that affected your thinking process and made you purchase one of these tractors
I blame you, actually. :sidelaugh: I had an MTD that didn't really do anything but mow grass, and even that was annoying because the PTO had to be shut off to shift into reverse. I wanted a tractor that I could mow around obstacles with easily and get attachments for snowblowing and tilling. I started looking for a quality JD and quickly realized that they held their value a little too well for my pocketbook. So, I simply Googled "best garden tractor" to find owners' opinions. That led me to MTF, where someone called Caseguytoo had posted a bunch of praise for Case GT's - how simple and durable they were, and easy to repair, etc. Then, I found the Youtube videos, of all you guys blowing snow in the comfort of your cabs, and tilling fields, and running FELs. That sealed the deal for me. I happened to find a Craigslist posting for a 444 and attachments that wasn't too far away, made a deal with the man, and now have a tractor that does everything I want it to do - unless I'm working the bugs out of the PO's questionable repairs and maintenance. But, even repairs are straightforward, for someone who is not much of a "wrench", and the resources on this site are incomparable in helping me understand, maintain and repair my tractor.

·
Registered
571 Posts
An Ingersoll was what I started with when I got my first tractor. I was presented with an opportunity to buy mine with a whole bunch of attachments. Actually, Tom (DBA Castoff on the Gardenweb forum), helped me recognize what a great deal I was getting. "Smoking deal of a lifetime", you said. Spending $3000 for that package (that would have cost about $14k to replace at the time) was a risk for me as I had just built a new home. That was in 2004 and you were right.

Now, and with the perspective of having used a few other brands, I would say that I just really appreciate how rugged my tractor is compared to the run of the mill stuff I might of otherwise purchased and probably broken by now. It's not that mine has been problem-free, but those issues have not been hard to fix.

Paul

·
Registered
137 Posts
Tall tires, extra ground clearance, and ultra compact for negotiating rocky forest, plus a heavy duty drive train for pulling excessive loads. I have used Gravely and JD and not to take anything away from these excellent tractors but the Case easily out performs them in my difficult terrain. Comparing it by size and weight it's the best performer in tough conditions in the 2WD class.

Al

·
Registered
579 Posts
In March, 2009, I ran across a local Craigslist ad for an Ingersoll 6018 with 3 pt finish mower, splitter, and tiller. It looked really interesting, but as a dad on a budget, I couldn't afford unjustified expenditures. At the time, I was not familiar with the Colt/Case/Ingersoll brands or hydraulic drive technology. There are not many of them running around in SE Texas.

I jumped on-line and found the MTF and Yahoo groups. They provided a wealth of information. Based on the quality of information and depth of knowledge from experienced participants, I decided that the Ingy belonged in my garage. It’s there now and I couldn’t be more pleased.

Of course, most of the smart guys have moved to this forum so I continue to receive outstanding information and advice.

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
My story begins in the blizzard of '78 when I watched my neighbor move mounds of snow effortlessly with his Case 222. This neighbor traded in his Case 222 a few years later for a similar-sized Ingersoll. Needless to say I was impressed by his Case/Ingersoll machines and knew then that if I ever got around to buying a lawn and garden tractor, it would be an Ingersoll. 24 years after the blizzard of '78, I brought home my brand new Ingersoll 4016. That first winter with my 4016 we received LOTS of snow including one storm when we were hit with 16+". My 4016 pushed the snow from that storm (and others) with ease. It's also worth mentioning that I originally wanted to purchase a new 4020 thinking that I needed more HP but the dealer talked me into the slightly cheaper 4016 claiming that 16 HP would be sufficient for my needs. After seeing what my 4016 can do, whether it was plowing snow, mowing lawns, tilling gardens or using the chipper/shredder, I have never questioned my purchase nor felt the need for more HP. That alone, I think, is a testament to the power, durability and performance that comes from the simple but efficient design. :thumbsup:

TS

·
Registered
877 Posts
I got involved in Cases when I got one from my youngest son. He owed me some money so I bought his 74-444 from him. He had gotten it from his MIL after his FIL passed away. It didn't run and after sitting in a mudhole another two years didn't help. I was going to get it running, sell it and hopefully make some money on it. The more I got involved in what was wrong with it, the more I realized it wasn't going anywhere. Again, I was just gonna get it running and use it to push snow. One thing lead to another and now it's all apart getting a good and well deserved refurbishment. That meant I didn't have anything to push snow with this year, so I lucked across a non-running 76-444 pretty cheap. Got it running and it's sitting in the garage with a blade on the front waiting on snow that hasn't shown up yet. I have owned a JD 316 and one of my brothers had a CC 1872. I think Cases are built tougher than either one of those, and with the hydraulic system, are more versatile. :mowlawn:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
oldfrank said:
[highlight=#ffff80:x2xx71x4][shadow=blue:x2xx71x4]I"M JUST A NUT CASE / AND DON"T KNOW ANY BETTER [/shadow:x2xx71x4][/highlight:x2xx71x4]

---oldfrank---
Frank,
We accept that fact. After all, you are still here posting, aren't you? :sidelaugh: Now, tell us why you prefer your Case to anything else you have operated..

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Billygoat said:
I got involved in Cases when I got one from my youngest son. He owed me some money so I bought his 74-444 from him. He had gotten it from his MIL after his FIL passed away. It didn't run and after sitting in a mudhole another two years didn't help. I was going to get it running, sell it and hopefully make some money on it. The more I got involved in what was wrong with it, the more I realized it wasn't going anywhere. Again, I was just gonna get it running and use it to push snow. One thing lead to another and now it's all apart getting a good and well deserved refurbishment. That meant I didn't have anything to push snow with this year, so I lucked across a non-running 76-444 pretty cheap. Got it running and it's sitting in the garage with a blade on the front waiting on snow that hasn't shown up yet. I have owned a JD 316 and one of my brothers had a CC 1872. I think Cases are built tougher than either one of those, and with the hydraulic system, are more versatile. :mowlawn:
Many experienced Deere owners claim that the 316 and 318 models are the best that Deere ever produced. Today, they are highly collectible as well as still very desirable as a working tractor. Therefore, your praise for the 444's is very high. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was searching the net for a replacement engine for a Scotts lawn tractor, came across a site for a shop that also sold repower kits for CASE GTs. Once I saw the CASE 446's I knew that it would be a great replacement for the Scotts to take care of my small acreage. Once I searched the net for CASE GTs I came across a few sites and photos having to with them. Once I heard all the praise from current owners, all the info on maintaining them and that the tractors/parts are still available, I was sold.

It took a while, but I finally found one near me. ( well 700 mile round trip away) me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
:goodpost: :goodpost: :goodpost:

I inherited mine from my uncle. It didn't run. I got it runing, and just prefer it over my other tractors.
If I could I would put ski-doo tracks on it and use it in the winter. :crazy:

I'm still learnin how they work. just learning so much.

and love the :coolphotos:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
:goodpost: :usa: :canada: :usa: :canada: I got interested in tractors several years ago after I purchased land down south. I purchased a big Allis and Chalmers WD45 first and then said to myself I would also like to pick up a smaller tractor too. So I started researching Cub Cadets, Power Kings and small Allis Chalmers GTs. I came across a Case 195 on Craig's list up state and said to myself that is one tough looking tractor. So I started to research the Case GTs and I was impressed. I never went for the 195. But I entered my first E Bay auction and won a Case 224. The tractor was owned by a former NYC Fireman that lived in Staten Island who was actually at the Twin Towers. Gentleman's gentleman. Real decent guy who maintained the tractor meticulously. So I brought the Case 224 across the Verrazano Bridge to Long Island. A few days later I joined the Yahoo site and did my first post. My first post was expertly answered by a guy named TomA who was a Heretic too! :lol: and a very helpful fellow by the name of Boomer. :thumbsup: Eventually I added an Ingersoll 446 and a Case 646 to the collection. So I guess initially it was the looks of the Case, (love at first site?) followed by the research which told me that these are the best GTs and yard tractors out there. So eventually this fellow named TomA transformed into Hydriv and Hilda and has really looked out for me for many years. I think the support has made me real confident about these tractors. Any problem can be addressed with the right research and help and they are easy to work on.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.