Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was in Harbor Freight a few weeks ago and could not resist picking up a little 2,000lb ATV winch that was on sale. There have been a few times a winch would have been handy with the tractor so what the heck. For mounting I wanted to create some means of a quick connect for the front and back. For the back I want to be able to attach it while I have either my mold board plow or box scraper attached to the sleeve hitch. Given those two implements only use the middle pin, I created a bracket that uses the two side pins and comes in from the back side of the sleeve hitch. A vertical piece welded to the bracket with a couple keyhole slots holds the winch. A couple nuts welded to the winch mounting plate accept 5/16" carriage bolts that slide into the keyhole slots:

Vertical piece:

Gas Fixture Auto part Bumper Composite material

Mocked up bracket:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Wood Automotive exterior

Carriage Bolts on winch. (The chains above hold my barrel weight for winter snowblowing):

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Asphalt Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Winch installed:

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Motor vehicle Bumper

Off to the right is the quick connect for the controller cable. I have a similar quick connect coming off the battery.
I will drill a hole in the bracket above the winch so a pin can go in to keep the winch from inadvertently sliding up in the keyhole slots when pulling.

For the front I will cut a couple keyhole slots in the mule drive bracket that I used to hold my front weight bracket. When the weight is installed I will extend the bracket that holds the barrel weight in the center so that it will have keyhole slots. The weight can be lowered a bit from where it is shown below and handle rotated out of the way.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
I can't quite make out the heads of the carriage bolts. Did you go with grade 5 or better yet grade 8 bolts? I have had the heads pop off the low grade carriage bolts.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
2,934 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of the final bracket only -- not connected to the sleeve hitch.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd like to see a picture of the final bracket only -- not connected to the sleeve hitch.
Will do. I will snap a few tomorrow.

The one thing I learned is the pin holes are not centered front to back on the sleeve hitch. My first attempt I made a bracket like my hitch bracket and when I flipped it around the holes were off by about 1/2" and my angle was too small to make it work. That's what I get for assuming. :)

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Below are a few ( and yes, I am not a welder. :) ) The key welds are actually on the bottom as when the winch is pulling, the top edge of the upright is pulled into the horizontal bracket while the bottom edge is being pulled away from the horizontal bracket. For that reason I put a couple large plug welds in as well as a continuous weld along the bottom. It should be plenty strong to pull the weight of the tractor.

The notch for the center pin is wide enough and deep enough to clear the hitch on the Brinly box scraper and my mold board plow with little to spare. I wanted to leave as much meat as possible. The horizontal bracket is made from 2 1/2 x 1/4" angle that I had on hand. A leg of one angle was cut down so that the resulting opening is about 3 1/2" to better fit the sleeve hitch. The keyholes are placed high enough so that the winch will clear the center hitch pin.

Wood Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Art

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I got my first chance to use the winch over the weekend. I had to lift a gas fired unit heater into place in my garage. At 100# and bulky, it was not something I was going to manhandle by myself. It worked great. I did put a 1/2" nut and bolt in the keyhole above the winch once it was installed to prevent it from lifting up and out of the mount. Only problem was that I should have left the tractor running as the winch will suck the little battery dry pretty quickly.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A few pics of the finished product. As a reminder, I made it to mount to the sleeve hitch backwards so that I can have the bracket installed while I use a plow or box scraper.

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Red Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Red Automotive wheel system Engineering

Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Hood Tire Vehicle

1/2" bolt in key hole to prevent winch from sliding up and out. Particularly important when using to hoist something up vs a horizontal pull.

Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Motor vehicle

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice setup. Looking at the photos though, for that location, a hydraulic winch would work awesome as you have the oil supply right there.
True and I would love to have one but the electric winch was only about $70. Also, I will be modifying it so that it can be mounted to a front mule plate. With the battery being centered on the tractor it makes it perfect for the control cables to work either in the front or back. Finally, I intend to put a bracket on my flat bed trailer so that it can be used on that to load items.

·
Administrator
4,498 Posts
Keep it on the back, that is your best anchor. Our little Cases don't weigh much to start with and the front doesn't have any real weight to it [or brakes on the wheels] to hold it stationary. Also the higher you can mount it the more you can pull with it.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep it on the back, that is your best anchor. Our little Cases don't weigh much to start with and the front doesn't have any real weight to it [or brakes on the wheels] to hold it stationary. Also the higher you can mount it the more you can pull with it.
I was thinking of using it to get unstuck when I high point the rear axle. :) That has happened a couple time when grading the driveway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts