Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the snow has started falling my thoughts naturally turn to------------lawnmowers :mrgreen: The Snowcaster is ready to go on the 448 so now I want to start refurbishing my mower decks and Rototiller. Before I begin though, I would like to know what models I am dealing with as none of them has a legible part number label. The two mower decks are 45 and 49 inches wide respectively and came without blades. As you can see, one is side discharge and one is rear (I think!!!). What are the pro's and con's of each type?
Can you guys identify them from the attached pictures, make some comments and suggestions regarding the refurbish, and tell me what blades I need and where to get them?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Why must you always ask the difficult questions. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Case made the following decks for 3 digit garden tractors.

- 38" cut Left Hand Discharge Model 40

- 44" cut Left hand Discharge Model 44

- 44" cut Rear Discharge Model 45

- 48" cut Left Hand Discharge Model 46

- 60" cut Left Hand Discharge Model 48

To determine the "cut width", you flip the deck upside down, line up the two outboard blades and measure across them from tip to tip.

New blades are available from our resident Ingersoll dealers. Contact info for Brian Hildreth is in the FAQ's section or you can go to http://www.casegardentractorparts.com/ and contact Bob Meyers.

If you look in the Technical Library under Parts Manuals and then Rotary Mowers...... you will find the parts manuals that cover your decks. What you need to know is this. When Case introduced the Snap Fast attachment system in 1971, they began with the Model H deck series. That got changed slightly and it was renamed the Model J which also got a small change and became the K series and then the L, M and finally the N series. In the overall scheme of things, those changes don't really matter all that much because the blades, bearings, spindles, pulleys, tensioning spring, mandrels etc remained the same.

If you want instructions on how to take your deck apart, then just ask.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hydriv, that's a great start. :thumbsup:
As you list only one rear discharge model then I must have a Model 45, 44" cut but, how do I measure the cut on the other deck when I don't have any blades? :roll:
Any comments on the Rototiller or is there only one model? :fingerscrossed:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you have a rear discharge deck, then it is a Model 45 with a 44" cut.

Measure across the underside of the deck shell where the blades spin. There's 4 inches difference between a 44" deck and a 48" deck. It's pretty hard to make a mistake.

The tillers are pretty much the same story..........up to the days of Ingersoll. The early tillers were all center-drive models but later on the Sidewinder model appeared. That one is driven from the left side. The Tech Library, Parts Manuals/Rotary Tiller section is your reading assignment for tonight. There will be a written test tomorrow which you must get a passing grade on or we send an operative to confiscate your tiller.

Not much goes wrong with the tillers but if preventative maintenance is your goal, then have at it. Take it all apart, clean it completely, replace the drive chain for sure, inspect the sprockets for damage/wear and then put it all back together with fresh grease in the chaincase.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.