Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yup, winter is over. So naturally (for me) I start thinking about building a snow-thrower for next year.

I’ve got a 42” 2 stage blower (think its an MTD model) I’ve used on other tractors and I did have it hooked up to my “MUT” (ie: frankentractor) one year.

Worked ok, but it was belt driven and while I have the chute and deflector motorized, the lift I handled with a 1500lb winch on the front.

The problem was that the winch would lift it high enough to damage the large pulley on the blower if you weren’t paying close enough attention. After bending up the pulley for the second time one year, I put the plow blade on the tractor and left the blower behind the garage.

But with the MUT being torn down for a complete rebuild and adding 2 hyd systems, I’m wondering if I can put the blower back on using a small lift cylinder and power the auger/impeller via a hydraulic motor.

I’ve seen some threads where guys talked about it, but they all seem to die out before any tangible results.

The pump that would run it is a .36 gear pump, 5.22 gpm at 3600 rpm.

Has anyone done something similar and does it actually work?

I really prefer to be able to drive the blower hydraulically rather than that gawd awful horrendously long belt and the pulley carriage arrangement under the tractor. Hyd motor and hyd lift just sounds so much more “clean” and easy. Drive up, hook up, couple QD’s, electrical connector and off you go.

Tractor is still in the “design phase”, so nows the time to incorporate provisions for a hyd-blower.

·
1,763 Posts
Sounds like we are thinking of similar projects. I have a Cub Cadet Model 341 snowblower in the barn that I want to put on the 646 Loader tractor:

I had planned to put a Hydro motor on it.. But through other means I have 2 Honda GX 670's that I should be able to make one working engine out of. I plan to power the snowblower directly with a gas engine. That way I can basically idle the Onan in the 646 and have a more modern OHV engine running full tilt blowing show, at least that's part of my rationalization for doing it. With no connection to the tractor, other than throttle, probably electric chute rotate, I can lift it as high as I want with out interference. Hondas have Oil pressure kill switch in case I tip it wrong and starve the engines oil pump. The Honda has a 17 amp alternators on it so I plan to rig up LEDS lights right on the blower off the honda's outputs.

As far as hydro motors go..From my notes: From: Ingersoll/Massey Ferguson Hydracutter:

The ingy Chipper uses a Webster YC77 series motor (.77 CI). The chipper is not belt driven and is direct coupled to the shaft with a lovejoy (like our hydraulic pump to motor). The operator manual shows the chipper running 2800 RPM at WOT (3600 RPM).

HydraCutter

Used .79 - .80 CID motor
7" Drive Pulley on the motor
A .77 CID motor should spin @ 2800 RPM.
.77 CID at 2,000 RPM and 2500 psi = 8 GPM
Torque OUT put @ 2,000 rpm 2,000 PSI = 215 Inch pounds
2,500 PSI = 270 Inch pounds = 22.5 Ft pounds

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,121 Posts
With hydraulics you can make anything run just about as fast as you like based simply on displacement matching (equivalent of gearing or pulley ratios), but you can only make the horsepower that is available from the pump.

Will your .36 gear pump, 5.22 gpm at 3600 rpm produce sufficient horsepower to satisfy a 42" 2 stage snowblower? What's the pressure you are running and do you have compatible motors?

My suspicion is simply not enough power. I don't know of a make with this size blower that recommends less that 14 drive horsepower to keep up with the 2 stage.

Brian

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With hydraulics you can make anything run just about as fast as you like based simply on displacement matching (equivalent of gearing or pulley ratios), but you can only make the horsepower that is available from the pump.

Will your .36 gear pump, 5.22 gpm at 3600 rpm produce sufficient horsepower to satisfy a 42" 2 stage snowblower? What's the pressure you are running and do you have compatible motors?

My suspicion is simply not enough power. I don't know of a make with this size blower that recommends less that 14 drive horsepower to keep up with the 2 stage.

Brian
Pump specs at max 3650 psi, but the syatem relief is going to be set at 1000 psi becuase it is also going to power hydraulic steering. I’m using a JD 318 steering system and the steering sector valve has a power beyond port. Power beyond will drive the implimets (loader, 3 pt, etc) and the case hydrive pump will only be running the drive system.

Guess I’ll have to do some math. Not too good at that anymore...PTSD is hell on the gray matter....

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,121 Posts
Fortunately there are online handy calculators for these things:

That looks like around 3 hp ... I'm thinking you won't like that very much.

On a single stage (much more power efficient for lbs/minute of snow movement) Ingersoll used approximately 12 hp hydraulic system.

Well functioning 2 stages are fun to watch and they do move the snow far, but they are power hungry.

We do get away with 14 hp (belt drive), 48" 2 stages with Bercomac, but they really labor as soon as the snow gets 4+" OR wet. The 48" Berco's are pretty smooth with 20hp Kohlers but still make the engine work in real snow. Mind you on those units the engine is doing nothing else ... blower only.

If you've ever used a 4020 (20 hp Onan) with a 44" Berco, then you know that wet snow or deep snow can really make that torquey engine work hard.

Brian

·
Registered
480 Posts
Fortunately there are online handy calculators for these things:

That looks like around 3 hp ... I'm thinking you won't like that very much.

On a single stage (much more power efficient for lbs/minute of snow movement) Ingersoll used approximately 12 hp hydraulic system.

Well functioning 2 stages are fun to watch and they do move the snow far, but they are power hungry.

We do get away with 14 hp (belt drive), 48" 2 stages with Bercomac, but they really labor as soon as the snow gets 4+" OR wet. The 48" Berco's are pretty smooth with 20hp Kohlers but still make the engine work in real snow. Mind you on those units the engine is doing nothing else ... blower only.

If you've ever used a 4020 (20 hp Onan) with a 44" Berco, then you know that wet snow or deep snow can really make that torquey engine work hard.

Brian
Maybe this will help, he used a tiller motor...........Curt

·
Registered
480 Posts
Yep I recall Genes build. Keeping that in mind as well
I have been going through all the snow blower mods articles, trying to figure the best route to go with nine. I put together a JD housing and auger ( found in dump )and adapted case controls and chute to it. Now finding out should of left the Deer chute on, for better control. LOL..........Curt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts