Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m rewiring the hot mess that is my 646, and I’m trying to figure out what special crimp connections I can’t seem to find a part number on either the parts list, or the electrics section. Does anyone know what connections I’ll need, and if they are readily available? Thanks in advance!

·
1,763 Posts
Sorry you're going to have to be more specific.. At the key switch? The connection to the Engine wiring harness? Any references to wiring diagrams that are in the operators manual would also help.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry you're going to have to be more specific.. At the key switch? The connection to the Engine wiring harness? Any references to wiring diagrams that are in the operators manual would also help.
My apologies, I am re wiring the entire harness. I’m specifically looking for the “multi prong” connections the connect to the rectifier, headlights, oil pressure sensor, etc. Everything else appears to be standard (female, piggyback, eye) connections.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,136 Posts
I just finished wiring my 646 this winter. I rewound the stator and then made connections from the stator by taking apart the original connector and soldering wires to it. There were a couple of connections that were soldered and then shrink wrapped. The wires to the ignition switch were all separate female spade connectors. Sorry no pics!

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm guessing that you might be referring to the Packard/Delphi (now Aptiv) 56-series terminals that were used in various locations on many of these tractors. The female terminals look like this:

And they get inserted into various shaped multi-cavity plastic shells to form a connector assembly.

These terminals (as well as some of the plastic shells) are readily available from a number of sources including Case/Ingersoll dealers, many local auto parts stores, and numerous online stores. I think some of the plastic shells might be discontinued, but if yours are still in good shape they can be cleaned up and re-used. Use a small flat blade screwdriver or terminal extractor pick to depress the little latching tang on the terminal and that will allow the old terminals/wires to be pulled free.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm guessing that you might be referring to the Packard/Delphi (now Aptiv) 56-series terminals that were used in various locations on many of these tractors. The female terminals look like this:

And they get inserted into various shaped multi-cavity plastic shells to form a connector assembly.

These terminals (as well as some of the plastic shells) are readily available from a number of sources including Case/Ingersoll dealers, many local auto parts stores, and numerous online stores. I think some of the plastic shells might be discontinued, but if yours are still in good shape they can be cleaned up and re-used. Use a small flat blade screwdriver or terminal extractor pick to depress the little latching tang on the terminal and that will allow the old terminals/wires to be pulled free.
Thanks! I’m mostly interested in the plastic shells. In terms of cleaning up, can I just MAF cleaner or will it eat the plastic?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thanks! I’m mostly interested in the plastic shells. In terms of cleaning up, can I just MAF cleaner or will it eat the plastic?
You're welcome! I'm not sure if MAF cleaner would bother the plastic or not. I usually use something like Simple Green, Super Clean, or Purple Power to wash them up, rinse with water, and let them thoroughly dry. Using a tiny brush and/or blowing some compressed air through the cavities can help clean out crud that has built up inside them.

If any of the plastic shells are broken, melted, or otherwise damaged and can't be re-used, the part numbers for them should be listed in the "Electrical System" portion of the parts manual. For example, the "Y" connector for the headlights is C14537.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,136 Posts
If I remember correctly I washed them out in my parts washer. The solvent came from TSC and does a really good job.

Keep the Peace
Harry

1 - 8 of 8 Posts