Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any suggestions for a fix for this mess I just inherited short of buying a new front axle and King Pin for like $1,500? Can this be repaired? Filled in with a welder then ground flat? It's the front axle of an Ingersoll 7020.
Any suggestions much appreciated. Thanks Ed
Tire Automotive tire Wood Vehicle Flooring

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the suggestions, Brian I called you a little bit ago and left a message about something else perhaps we can discuss it when you call me back. I see you were able to find the dimensions of that thrust washer, I think I can get them from Grainger. I'm thinking that because the steel is all mushroomed and that it's not a flat surface it's going to require some work to fix it. Perhaps I can just grind it flat and use and extra thrust washer or a thicker one to make up the difference, It will certainly be worth a try anyway. Thanks all, Ed

·
Registered
368 Posts
IIRC those thrust washers are one piece with the bushing for the spindle bore, at least they were on mine. Perhaps later on, or maybe early on? They used 2 piece. Either way I just machined new ones from 932 bearing bronze. I’d build the axle back up with weld and install new bushings and thrust washers, or shouldered bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
IIRC those thrust washers are one piece with the bushing for the spindle bore, at least they were on mine. Perhaps later on, or maybe early on? They used 2 piece. Either way I just machined new ones from 932 bearing bronze. I’d build the axle back up with weld and install new bushings and thrust washers, or shouldered bushings.

That was my thought as well. I didn't have the time this go round I needed to get the tractor out of the wife's side of the garage before she got home from her trip so had to put it all back together and get some work done with it. I'll tear it apart over the winter and do exactly as you suggested. I'll also have to build up the spindle shaft with weld also as it has been worn down and is now oblong. I bought new bushings but they did not have shoulders on them just straight bushings. I feel like it they had a shoulder or collar as one of mine did have, it would be a better design. Someone before me put steel washers where the Bronze Thrust washer should have been which is why it wore the way it did. Thanks for the tip. I may try to solicit you to make me 4 bushings with collars on them when I do this whole thing again. Thanks for the advise. Ed

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

BTW, I assume you are the Mac from Mac farms who put up those youtube videos, I've watched them all. Good stuff, keep it going!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts