Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a Linamar LX790 would drop into my 646BH reasonably easy? It looks like the exhaust would be a problem and I am only interested in driving the hydraulic pump, so a clutch is not needed. I am assume there is an expert that lurks around this forum.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
We do have lots of lurkers but we don't have any experts in the lurking crowd that I am aware of. :sidelaugh: After all, if all they do is lurk, then how would we know if they are experts or not? :lol: :lol:

The Linamar will work but it may not be a "drop in". Most likely, new mounting holes will need to be drilled and there may be some wiring changes needed but nothing major. Throttle and choke cables can likely be adapted and the exhaust is something you already know about. Have fun. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hydriv said:
We do have lots of lurkers but we don't have any experts in the lurking crowd that I am aware of. :sidelaugh: After all, if all they do is lurk, then how would we know if they are experts or not? :lol: :lol:

The Linamar will work but it may not be a "drop in". Most likely, new mounting holes will need to be drilled and there may be some wiring changes needed but nothing major. Throttle and choke cables can likely be adapted and the exhaust is something you already know about. Have fun. :thumbsup:
I thought that you would get a kick out of the "lurking" term. Wiring is easy, drilling new holes isn't too bad, and I guess the question would then be if the exhaust ports (what ever they are called) are located the same place as my Onan.

Thanks for the help, I will think about and see if it is something I want to get into, another project that is.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
The LX790 is a P220 in Linamar labelling. The P220 is basically a B48M with upgrades. While not a plug and play by any means, there is more than ample space in the package for that engine.

Your 646LBH is originally equipped with a CCKA and I recall it being in there when I saw your tractor a while back ...

Looking forward in to the 648 parts manuals can give you an idea of what was different to accommodate the B48.

The muffler itself was common from the later CCKA's to B48's ... one would think the pipes could be adjusted or remade rather easily to be like the B48 installation. Some of the B48 pipes (for that later style muffler) are still available new from Ingersoll.

The pump mount is different between the CCKA and B48 ... but not clear that the older CCKA mount would not fit the P220/LX790 ... someone like Boomer who is more knowledgable on the specific engine differences could advise if the CCKA had a common bolt pattern to the newer B/P engines.

Sounds to me like a great opportunity, if you are up for a little project ... keep us posted.

Brian

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,509 Posts
club
the 446/448 ( B43-B48 M series ) pump mount will fit the
the CCKA family of engine ( unless you have the spark advance on the back of the cam )
my case manual doesn't show the spark advance, being used.
i believe the mounts are different because of the SAE A pump that the 600 series used.
if a taller oil pan is needed i do have some in stock ( P 224 )
more oil capacity, and it will help with the crankshaft center line.
thank you boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.