Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT THE *&^% !!!. I recently acquired a 1973 446. I paid $140 for it at a auction on sat. The only thing wrong with it (that I know of so far) was that the engine was sitting next to it. I don't know whats wrong with it or why it was taking off but my question is does a engine rebuild kit really cost $1199? I was researching it on here and found info for onanparts.com and that is where I found the $1199 price tag on a rebuild kit.

I guess boomer is the resident expert on onans so my question for him is what does a complete engine rebuild usually cost for one of these including machine work?

At any rate if this engine is going to cost me that much to rebuild I will posting parts in the classified section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
There have been many threads here discussing the cost to overhaul Onans. Shouldn't have been a surprise. < $2000 for a tractor that will go at least 20 years if cared for really isn't a bad deal though. If you do decide to get rid of it, please try to sell it as complete as possible first. I for one hate to see them parted out. I know one can make more money parting it out though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Billygoat said:
There have been many threads here discussing the cost to overhaul Onans. Shouldn't have been a surprise. < $2000 for a tractor that will go at least 20 years if cared for really isn't a bad deal though. If you do decide to get rid of it, please try to sell it as complete as possible first. I for one hate to see them parted out. I know one can make more money parting it out though.
I never really paid attention to threads concerning onans but I did know they were expensive to rebuild........but not that expensive!
To me costing that much to rebuild makes this engine into a POS. I would LOVE to hear why these cost so much to rebuild when I can rebuild a kohler for less then $250 including machine work and have that engine last 15-20 plus years. Heck I have rebuilt a 360 for $1500 including machine work.

As far as parting it out I don't like to do it but I am about to get out of the military and join the civilian ranks. I have been saving my pennies for the last 2 years so I can get out and support my family. I pay for my projects by fixing, selling and swapping . The money I would get from this 446 would go a long way towards a 444. I have been wanting a 400 series for awhile hence the reason I bought this one.
 

·
Site Founder
Joined
·
1,801 Posts
I wouldn't be making any decisions until you get the engine torn down to see exactly what you have to work with. There could be many reasons why the PO removed the engine. Let us know what you find.

If you have experience with Kohlers you should have no trouble tearing into the Onan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
877 Posts
THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE in the military! :usa: I hope you and your family enjoy the civilian life. I know about the fixing, selling and swapping, that's how my projects are done also. Little to no household money gets used here. As Jack said tear it down and take a look, it may not be that bad. :fingerscrossed:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
mikebramel said:
$250 for a Kohler with machine work?
Obviously not low volume, USA made parts that youre getting for $1200 through Onan
Actually the parts I get for kohlers are quality parts. The mark up on some parts these days are ridicules. My Father-in-law's brother own a small engine repair business which is where I get my parts at cost. Also the mark up on the kohler kits I get is 130%. So the kit I get for $100 would actually cost about $230. I am waiting to here back from him what he can get onan parts for.
 

·
Garden Tractor Nerd
Joined
·
359 Posts
I was searching for Onan parts some time ago and when I asked the Onan/Cummins dealer why such high pricing on parts he replied Onan/Cummins was trying to price individuals out of those older B engines. Wean individuals off those older engines if you will. So, Onan/Cummins stop producing parts to support those engines subsequently making parts more scarce and more expensive. I was looking for an oil pan for a B43E and Onan/Cummins wanted $565 for a new pan alone. Ouch!

Kenneth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
KBear said:
I was searching for Onan parts some time ago and when I asked the Onan/Cummins dealer why such high pricing on parts he replied Onan/Cummins was trying to price individuals out of those older B engines. Wean individuals off those older engines if you will. So, Onan/Cummins stop producing parts to support those engines subsequently making parts more scarce and more expensive. I was looking for an oil pan for a B43E and Onan/Cummins wanted $565 for a new pan alone. Ouch!

Kenneth
I won't dispute that fact, but what would Onan/Cummins gain? I don't think that they make a comparable engine that would replace it.
I would love to see them come out with a modern engine, diesel or gas that would bolt right in.

Just My Thoughts
Ted
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
Ted Miller said:
KBear said:
I was searching for Onan parts some time ago and when I asked the Onan/Cummins dealer why such high pricing on parts he replied Onan/Cummins was trying to price individuals out of those older B engines. Wean individuals off those older engines if you will. So, Onan/Cummins stop producing parts to support those engines subsequently making parts more scarce and more expensive. I was looking for an oil pan for a B43E and Onan/Cummins wanted $565 for a new pan alone. Ouch!

Kenneth
I won't dispute that fact, but what would Onan/Cummins gain? I don't think that they make a comparable engine that would replace it.
I would love to see them come out with a modern engine, diesel or gas that would bolt right in.

Just My Thoughts
Ted
Let's suppose that they did bring out a new engine that would drop right in where the old B series engines resided. I doubt very much that the price tag would be under $2500.00 for a gas engine and probably close to $4000.00 for a diesel. How many members of this list would buy either engine?

Answer: ZERO
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Hydriv said:
Ted Miller said:
KBear said:
I was searching for Onan parts some time ago and when I asked the Onan/Cummins dealer why such high pricing on parts he replied Onan/Cummins was trying to price individuals out of those older B engines. Wean individuals off those older engines if you will. So, Onan/Cummins stop producing parts to support those engines subsequently making parts more scarce and more expensive. I was looking for an oil pan for a B43E and Onan/Cummins wanted $565 for a new pan alone. Ouch!

Kenneth
I won't dispute that fact, but what would Onan/Cummins gain? I don't think that they make a comparable engine that would replace it.
I would love to see them come out with a modern engine, diesel or gas that would bolt right in.

Just My Thoughts
Ted
Let's suppose that they did bring out a new engine that would drop right in where the old B series engines resided. I doubt very much that the price tag would be under $2500.00 for a gas engine and probably close to $4000.00 for a diesel. How many members of this list would buy either engine?

Answer: ZERO
I was thinking it would give the outdoor equipment manufacturers another choice, besides Honda, B/S and etc.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
If Onan did develop another engine, then it most certainly would be available to the OPE industry because the engineering and tooling costs would be prohibitive otherwise. However, those engines would also be available on a retail basis and that's what I was pointing at.

Right now, it's the surplus engines that are often "production over-runs" that provide re-power choices for those with old GT's. I agree that Onan parts prices cannot be justified and I think that their pricing policy is foolish. They are still making these parts because there is a demand for them. Pushing up the prices to drive people away from rebuilding makes little sense when Onan does not offer an engine that owners might jump to. Perhaps Cummins feels that the replacement parts market just isn't worth the effort. After all, CAT got out of the On-Road truck engine market because the environmental laws were too big of a PITA.
 

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
Kbear
the CURRENT list price for 102-1220 oil base is 429.32
i have the 2011 onan pdf price list.
SO some one is trying to HOSE you.
my used are in the 60/70 range.
i do have a new take off 150.

club
as far as the O.H. kit i think there are to many
parts that are not needed.

and lastly, there is NO reason these parts have to cost this much.
i think that cummins doesn't want to be bothered with us.
BUT they have also bought some obsolete parts back into production.
So, go figure.
thank you. boomer
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!

Well I got a wild hair up my arse and decided to tear down the engine. I learned 2 things. First it was most certainly a fresh rebuilt engine!!!! Unbelievable huh? Second the reason it was taken off is because somewhere along the line someone dropped a screw down the carb and bent the intake valve on the right side. It looks like all I need is a valve job though I will THOROUGHLY check everything before it goes back together. I think I lucked out for $140.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,618 Posts
chllngr528 said:
YOU WILL NEVER BELIEVE THIS!!!!!!

Well I got a wild hair up my arse and decided to tear down the engine. I learned 2 things. First it was most certainly a fresh rebuilt engine!!!! Unbelievable huh? Second the reason it was taken off is because somewhere along the line someone dropped a screw down the carb and bent the intake valve on the right side. It looks like all I need is a valve job though I will THOROUGHLY check everything before it goes back together. I think I lucked out for $140.
Serves you right for taking life so seriously. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top