Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my hydraulic fluid in my Ingersoll 4023 for the Power take off system.
I bought some xtreme Pure-Flo Hydraulic Fluid but it does not state the weight.
It's specs imply it will be a good fit for mid range viscosity requirements.
Anybody using this oil?
Any comments pro or con.

How about using the same oil for the Hydro static tranny?
I need to change that out as well.

It bothered me that I could not find a weight spec anywhere on it.
Appreciate the feedback.

Bill

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,213 Posts
Bill, welcome aboard.

The Ingersoll 4023 is factory specified with 20W40 motor oil in both the hydraulic system and the rear axle gear box.

Some quick research implies the fluid you have chosen is equivalent to a straight SAE20 viscosity.

My prediction is that this fluid won't do any damage to your system, but neither will it perform well after the tractor is well warmed up. The oil will be too thin and you'll quickly notice that the rear drive motor has lost performance and power, particularly for hill climbing. This is simply because the oil is too thin.

General guidance is that 20W40 is very hard to find (AmsOil has it ... so does Ingersoll OEM) and not completely necessary. The widely available 15W40 grades are a good tradeoff for northern states, or 20W50 for warmer southern climates.

Read around the forum and learn more about cold weather operation, etc if you will be using for winter work in the North.

For the rear axle, I and many other dealers generally recommend going up to a 75W90 gear oil, though the OEM original spec is in fact the 20W40 motor oil.

Brian
Salem Power Equipment

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Bill.

Welcome to CCI! You have come to the right place. You will also find plenty of information in technical section to help you.

Glad youd joined.

Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
For the rear axle, I and many other dealers generally recommend going up to a 75W90 gear oil, though the OEM original spec is in fact the 20W40 motor oil.

Brian
Salem Power Equipment
Now that it's warming up, I imagine that the motor oil might alleviate the irritation that first "shift" in the winter time vs. the gear lube...?

Ray W

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Brian,
I have bought from you in the past and you were very helpful then.
Thanks for sharing your expertise on the forum.
Trying to find something local for oil.

Thanks to the guys who put together and maintain the site.
I'm guessing it's new (newer) as I did not find it in the past.
Nice that it's focus is Case/Colt/Ingersoll.
I will try to post some pictures in the future.
Thanks,

Bill

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I cant imagine anything being cheaper than goin into wal mart and getting 15W40 for approx $13 for 5 quart bottle. I use 20W50 but it does cost me more.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I cant imagine why gear lube would be required in one of the rear ends of one of these machines as there is little to no sliding friction beween the gear types used and doubt there is a benefit at the wheel end bushings. We use 10W30 in 600+ hp tractor transmissions and axles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts