Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a little time but I managed to finally trap it!!

Also picked up a 20 hp Kohler Magnum to repower my other 446 and from the rough measurements, it's going to fit just right but engineering the exhaust is going to be a bear.

For the Zebra 446, it appears un-molested, muffers are rusted out, steering is tight. sheet metal is straight and the paint job was done by a professional (don't laught too hard!). Came with a deck and wheel weights which the weights are concrete made weights which I guess are about 80 pounds each.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
this might surprise some people but I'm not laughing at all. When I first saw one of these for sale (hence the photos I put in the other thread), I said to Jack that I'd like to own that tractor and I would not remove the Zebra paint. Instead, I'd carefully remove all the tin, strip the tractor down and restore everything else back to original before installing the Zebra skin once again. You have a novel item that also has provenance that should be documented. Only a certain number of them were done up this way. Some survived and some either did not or....they won't survive because someone will strip the down for a repaint.

That's a 1974. They are not rare or highly sought after at the moment but your tractor stands out amongst all the 1974's almost as much as a Spirit of 76 446 does. The Spirits are better known than your Zebra at the moment but so what? If you document what you have properly, you can show it as an original Zebra 446.

Enjoy your find and take care of it.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Snotrocket said:
Are you saying that's a factory paint job? :shock: :shock:
Nope. I'm not saying that at all.

I think that you may be focusing on my Spirit reference. There seems to be more than one story floating around about the Spirits. As I understand it, there was a huge Bi-Centennial parade scheduled for the City of Racine on July 4th, 1976. Case is the biggest corporation in Racine but the garden tractors are not built there. According to some sources, somewhere between six and ten 1976 Case 446 GT's were painted Power White and the stars and stripes were added on top of that paint to create the Spirit of 76 tractors and a local Case DEALER was behind that project, all on his own. In addition, Case 970 ag tractors were done up the same way for this parade. Presumably, these were done by the Case factory.

Jim Daenzer may be able to shed some further light on this.

The question then becomes one of which story is true? Did a dealer do the GT's on his own hook? Or did head office order X number of 446's from Winneconne and let their own paint shop transform them?

If the dealer did them, then the Spirit GT's are no more a factory paint job than the Zebra 446 is. The Spirit GT's were used for a half day in a parade but the Zebra GT's were used for many years by the zoo that had them created. The Spirit GT's are relatively unknown except by those in Case collector world. The Zebra 446's are known by many thousands of zoo visitors. I find that to be pretty significant.

Others are free to disagree. Time will tell as to who is right and who is wrong.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the positive comments!

For those that didn't catch wind of this 446 and it's back story, it was custom painted professionally for a exotic "wild" animal park near Springfield MO in interstate 44. That park was a steady landmark over the years that almost all people living in Missouri when who were kids in the 70's and early 80's, remember either going though it or pleading with their parents to stop at it. As the story is told to me this park had several Case GT's that were used for mowing so they had them painted as zebras to match the theme of the park.

Tomorrow's job is to see if I can get it running, this tractor was on CL last fall and the ad then stated it ran but stopped using it since the mufflers were gone. Contrast to that the seller stated last night, he never had it running but yet told me on the phone last week the similer story from his CL listing last fall. about the neighbors not liking the loud exhaust. Leads me to wonder what the true story is, the guy seemed nice but he was a wheeler and dealer but what was impresive was hisl restored JD's including a restored Panzer (speeling??) It's took a fraction of time loading than it did for him to give me a small tour, he had a tons of JD's that after 20+ some, I lost track of counting. One thing that caught my eye was what he called his JD patio garden tractors? 1960 something JD's that were not green? never seen anything like that, blue, red, white??

Anyhow I'm torn between leaving the zebra paint job as it is or to repaint it in it's orginal colors as that's one of the reasons I bought it since it was a desert sunset Case at one time. I suspect I will leave it was it is for now and see how everything else checks out.

Even better news is that I sold a bunch of junk on CL in the last few days that paid for ALL of this with exception of my gas money. Rather funny how my luck is that I sold a Magnum 20 engine awhile back to pay for the first 446 I bought to find that I should have kept it and now another one falls in my lap.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hydriv said:
I think that you may be focusing on my Spirit reference. There seems to be more than one story floating around about the Spirits. As I understand it, there was a huge Bi-Centennial parade scheduled for the City of Racine on July 4th, 1976. Case is the biggest corporation in Racine but the garden tractors are not built there. According to some sources, somewhere between six and ten 1976 Case 446 GT's were painted Power White and the stars and stripes were added on top of that paint to create the Spirit of 76 tractors and a local Case DEALER was behind that project, all on his own. In addition, Case 970 ag tractors were done up the same way for this parade. Presumably, these were done by the Case factory.
Tom, Ted Miller may be able to shine some light on this and I hope he chimes in.
I've heard that there were 6 Spirit 446s and that the dealer in Racine had the graphics done. I Assumed that the Spirit ag tractors in the parade were 1570s since about 200 of those were produced. If they were 970s, then those would be as collectible as the Spirit 446s, and were likely the only ones decorated that way. I wonder if any photos exist of the tractors in the parade.
John

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Keep that paint job. Theres no question about it.
If you dont like it buy a junk tractor and take the metal off that one. But you cant go back to that, well I couldnt. Not with a couple cans of Krylon LOL

·
Registered
194 Posts
eBoyDog said:
...Leads me to wonder what the true story is, the guy seemed nice but he was a wheeler and dealer but what was impresive was hisl restored JD's including a restored Panzer (speeling??) It's took a fraction of time loading than it did for him to give me a small tour, he had a tons of JD's that after 20+ some, I lost track of counting. One thing that caught my eye was what he called his JD patio garden tractors? 1960 something JD's that were not green? never seen anything like that, blue, red, white??
I too only learned about Patio tractors after I bought my first Patio 140 H1. It was actually painted green over the white. They offered patios for 110, 112, and 140's (and maybe the 120). I believe that the tractor was painted all Dogwood White and the purchaser had the choose the hood and seat color. The color choices were yellow, red orange, blue, or white. They became very collectible.

Just the seats and hoods sell for a ton of money. There were a few other small changes, but I think they didn't sell well when they were offered, hence the small number of them out there. If my memory Jack has a Patio 110 or 112. Of course, it is in the back of all of the good tractors (hopefully) :grin:.

-Justin

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
tanandorange said:
Tom, Ted Miller may be able to shine some light on this and I hope he chimes in.
I've heard that there were 6 Spirit 446s and that the dealer in Racine had the graphics done. I Assumed that the Spirit ag tractors in the parade were 1570s since about 200 of those were produced. If they were 970s, then those would be as collectible as the Spirit 446s, and were likely the only ones decorated that way. I wonder if any photos exist of the tractors in the parade.
John
John,
I think that you are correct on the 970/1570 issue. It would make sense for Case to use their top model.

I've heard the same story as you.... about it being a dealer who was behind the GT Spirits but I've heard other stories too.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
mikebramel said:
Keep that paint job. Theres no question about it.
If you dont like it buy a junk tractor and take the metal off that one. But you cant go back to that, well I couldnt. Not with a couple cans of Krylon LOL
I agree with Mike totally. If you want to run with a Sunset tractor, then find some $150.00 POS donor tractor and refinish the tin from that one. Put aside your Zebra tin for now. Cover it up to protect it.

If you decide to show your tractor,the Zebra will draw 10 times the attention that the Sunset tractor will.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
eBoyDog said:
One thing that caught my eye was what he called his JD patio garden tractors? 1960 something JD's that were not green? never seen anything like that, blue, red, white??
You probably don't even realize it but you are making my point about keeping the Zebra paint.

In 1969, John Deere decided to try something novel. I believe that they felt that if women could get involved with the purchase of a GT, then sales would increase. So, they introduced the "Custom Color Series" of 110, 130 and 140 machines that were delivered to the dealers painted Dogwood white, including the engines. The dealers stocked hoods and matching seats in Patio Red, Spruce Blue, April Yellow and Sunset Orange. Whichever color the customer settled on, the appropriate seat and hood were installed in a matter of minutes.

Painting the engines white proved to be a bad idea because the heat caused the paint to yellow and that did not go over well with buyers. The seats had a unique seat-pan that was embossed. For that reason, original seats in OEM condition have brought as much as $1300.00 at auction. JUST THE SEAT.

In 1970, Deere added the 120 model to the line up and all engines were black. The following year, the project was dropped due to poor sales. Many dealers had to send these tractors out to be repainted the traditional Deere green. Apparently, Deere provided the paint at no cost and likely underwrote the labor to some degree. At the time, many owners wanted the traditional Deere green and yellow that immediately told other people that the tractor was a Deere. Because the tractors sold for only three years and in low numbers, they became highly collectible 25 years later.

Point being... when you own something unique.... treasure it even if others do not.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
tanandorange said:
Hydriv said:
John
Gosh I saw a Spirit of 76' for sale cheap a few years ago on CL. Assumed Case churned a few out like many manufacturers at that time and that there were a few around. Could have also been done by an individual (copycat).
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
There are either two or three confirmed Spirit GT's known to exist. Jason Kozlowski has one. Herm Kreuger had the other one but sold it to Steve Guider. I forgot the name of the third owner.

However, there are clones out there.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.